Saturday, February 25, 2012








My (Not Quite) Meringue Skirt!                                                                                                           


Our first project in the Colette Handbook Sew-Along was the Meringue skirt. It’s a pretty basic A-Line skirt, with the addition of cute scallops at the bottom. Problem is, I’m not the cute scallops kind of girl. Too much trouble to iron, I figure!                                                                                                                                               


My solution was to add jumbo ric-rak at the bottom of my skirt. It keeps it fun, and echoes the original pattern, but makes for a much more practical skirt!                                                                                                                                              


Even though I didn’t faithfully follow the original design, I learned a  lot and feel much more confident. It’s been about 10 years since I made anything using a pattern, so this skirt really helped me get over my fears! I cut a straight size 14, and didn’t really change much after the muslin. It’s my first fully lined garment, AND my first invisible zipper. Hurray!                                                                                                                                              


Other things I learned? We barely have any unadorned, unfurnished walls in our house! This little corner was the closest to a blank canvas that i could find. Also: When my husband takes a picture of me, I look waaay shorter than I do to myself in the mirror! Next time, I guess I should get him to get a lower perspective!                                                                                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment