Saturday, April 14, 2012

Spring and Summer Sewing Plans!

Every fall and spring, Colette Patterns challenges sewers to come up with a colour scheme to inspire their seasonal sewing. I’ve enjoyed looking at other people’s plans before, but this is the first time that I’m participating! 


I’m on a tight budget, so I started by photographing all the fabrics in my stash, and making a list of all the things I’ve already planned to make in the next few months. Then I tried to squish all those ideas together into a colour palatte… and guess what? It didn’t work! :P Some of the fabrics just aren’t matchy-matchy with each other… and somehow, as I edited it down, I was left with boring pastels. (Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be sewing some pastel stuff… but as a whole mini-wardrobe, I’d rather have something bolder that will work in Fall as well!) 


Here’s my first draft: 


collage fail


Nice, but not inspiring. I took a look through Pinterest, and found a great wallet from the Accessorize website that I love. That led me to think of the beautiful white/navy/red/turquoise Japanese fabric that is hanging on my wall in so many photos… and with those added inspiration, I came up with this! 


Spring Summer Colour Palatte final


I think the addition of navy really helps - and luckily a lot of these are destined to be blouses to wear with jeans at work! Of course, as I played around with the orientation and layout, I suddenly realised -


I’ve come up with a RAINBOW, folks! Check the blog title - I’m not lying!


I’ll even admit that I’m not likely to sew anything yellow - I just like the colours together! (I do have a second hand yellow belt that I picked up recently but haven’t found anything to wear with, so I’m hoping to work yellow in that way.)


Here’s what i’m planning to make: 


Spring Summer Colour Palatte plans


Of course, the dangerous thing is no that I have an official palatte, I suddenly feel justified in buying more fabrics to match it! Dammit! Didn’t I start by saying that I’m on a budget? 


I’m off to the city, where I’ll try to resist the lure of the fabric stores… Maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment