Friday, March 23, 2012

Did Pinterest just become more ethical?

This morning, I woke up to find an email from Pinterest about changes to their Terms of Service. Could it be that they’ve actually listened to all the dissatisfied users? 



(Image from http://www.knoed.com/thewindowseat/pinterest-change-your-terms-or-were-leaving/) 


Well, it seems they changed, so - hurray! I don’t have to give up Pinterest! Or do I?


There has been all kinds of debate online about the fact that, under the old terms, they owned any image that you pinned. Now they say: 


Our original Terms stated that by posting content to Pinterest you grant Pinterest the right for to sell your content. Selling content was never our intention and we removed this from our updated Terms.”


Awesome! But what about the legality of it all? Am I still liable to be sued for pinning someones picture without permission? 


The only information mentioning copyright in the email was this:


We released simpler tools for anyone to report alleged copyright or trademark infringements.”


That doesn’t sound like a real solution to me… It’s good if copyright issues can be solves smoothly within Pinterest, but can they still sue me? I’m hoping that one of the legal experts who has been debating this can give me an answer I trust.  


Until then, I’m happy and really impressed that Pinterest changed so quickly, but I won’t go back to wild pinning sprees until I know more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment