Monday, January 21, 2013

Last of the Christmas gifts!

As you’ve probably figured out by now, my sister Anne is a prolific knitter. (Find her here on Ravelry!) She even had a pattern published in that beautiful Jane Austen Knits a couple years ago! It’s nice to have someone else in the family who is craft-obsessed! (This afgan and this silk shawl is only some of the lovely things she’s knit for me over the years! 


For Christmas, I ordered a fat quarter of the cutest knitting-themed fabric from Spoonflower…


knitting portaits


… and made her some zippered pouches! 


Knitting pouches by Gillian


I thought about making her some pillows, but, oh wait, I did that last year!  I figured instead I’d make something to make the other knitters jealous - Something she could bring to Knit Night! 


Knitting pouches by Gillian


For each pouch, I used a zigzag stitch to applique the fussy cut onto some linen. One pouch is white, one natural, and one is leftover grey linen from the Cambie I made Anne this summer. 


Each pouch has a different picture on the back!


Knitting pouches by Gillian


As always, I used Elizabeth Hartman’s Perfect Zip Bag pattern as the basis. Seriously, sewists, if you don’t know how to make lined zip pouch, spend $10 on that pattern! It really is great! 20 pages of colour pictures and clear instructions, and lots of pattern variations. A basic variation only takes about 30 min to sew, so it’s the perfect gift! 


Thanks for taking the lovely pics, Anne… As I type this, I’m realizing how much our two hobbies feed through each other for reinforcement! Thanks for being my crafty buddy, always willing to talk shop or wear whatever I make! 


Do you have a special crafty someone in your life? Who do you make gifts for that really appreciates them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment