Thursday, May 10, 2012

Another Truffle Skirt!

Voila! My first finished garment during Me-Made May. 



It’s another skirt inspired by my love for the Colette Ginger skirt! I used the Truffle skirt for the basic shape, but blended out to the more-A-lined shape of a Peony towards the hem. 


For reference, here’s my original, which I wore yesterday for MMM. 


Denim skirt MMM9


I was worried it would feel strange to wear something so high-waisted, but it was really confortable all day. I love it when clothing stays in place and feel effortless!


Back to the new skirt. I made it with some cotton twill from my mother’s stash (She reckons she’s had it for at least 20 years, since that colour was last popular!) 



It’s fully lined, since I wear leggings or tight with skirt a lot. Last time I carefully drafted a shaped waistband, but this time I just used a straight strip and angled it in at the side seams. It sits at my natural waist, but isn’t tight. 



I even inserted a zipper! Not very invisibly, but I really don’t care. At least I don’t have to shimmy into this one! :P


Coral Peony/Truffle/Ginger Skirt


I moved the zipper from the centre back to the side so that I could cut the back and front both on the fold. Easy peasy! 



I’m really pleased that it goes so well with this version of the Sewaholic Pendrell pattern, which languished in my UFO pile for a while. I made this shirt out of a beautiful Japanese lawn (think Liberty cotton but only $13/m). I love all the colours in it, but I’ve been having a hard time finding the right way to wear it. I like this combination! I even had the perfect me-made necklaces on hand. I made these right when I started blogging (way, way back in the fall! :P) using fabric from a stripy rainbow scarf. (Mini tute here!) 


Making these skirts has really motivated me to look at dress patterns as potential fodder for skirts and tops! Next, I’m hoping to make a couple blouse version of the New Look 6022 dress that I made in denim last month. 


I’m off to a 50% off sale at Fabricland (basically the one and only fabric store in Ontario which can be found outside major cities!) I’m even driving 45min to a bigger location to get a better selection! Sewing is wonderful, isn’t it? Addictive, but wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment