Thursday, January 9, 2014

Reflecting on Top 5s - and Planning for the Top 5 of 2014!

Top 5 of 2013 - An Annual Blog Series



Wow - I really can’t believe how many people joined in the Top 5 lists this year! (Over 100!!!!) Thank you, thank you, thank you! I enjoyed reading every single post (and had grand plans to comment on all of them, until holidays, feel sick, and traveling without my laptop got the better of me!) 


The most exciting part for me was reading over and over that you learned abut yourself and your sewing in the process of writing and reflecting. (I know I did!) I was also really thrilled to see a lot of first-year bloggers joining in. I hope you all came away from it with some new blogs to read, some new followers, and a sense of achievement and pride in your sewing accomplishments!


Before we all move on to thoughts of our latest projects, the teacher part of my brain insists that I reflect on the reflection process. Is there anything I should change about the Top 5 lists for next year? 


After last year’s lists, we decided to change the “inspirations” list from specific people to more general inspirations, trends, resources etc. I think that worked well this year… but I”m wondering about changing it again!


There sometimes seemed to be a bit of redundancy between the inspirations, reflections, and goals posts. I wonder instead about changing either inspirations or reflections to a list of Top 5 Highlights! Could be sewing or non-sewing…for example, here are mine for the year: I got a full time job and new apartment, adopted a  kitten, met a lot of bloggers IRL, and fully committed to my love of sewing with knits!


I’d like to reflect somehow that we all balance sewing with other parts of our lives, and avoid people feeling that they have to make excuses for how much or little they have sewn. We’ve all got other interests and other accomplishments, ammiright? (Shh, sewing, it’s ok, I’m not cheating on you, baby! I’ll always love you most!) I think it would also be a nice way to get to know a little more about each other, especially as we’re all discovering new-to-us blogs.


So what do you think? Next year, should we:


a) leave the list topics the same?


b) change Inspirations to Highlights?


c) change Reflections to Highlights?


d) tweak something else? 


Please let me know what you think in the comments! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment